Germany Scholarship Guide for International Students
Last updated: 06 Jan 2013
Germany has become a popular destination for foreign students looking for an international education. Why Germany? Germany offers internationally recognized programs at a relatively cheaper cost compared to UK, USA or Australia plus the fact that most undergraduate programs in Germany are still tuition free. Moreover, there are a significant number of available scholarships that allows foreign students to study in Germany for free.
Tuition Free Colleges and Universities in Germany
Before 2006/2007, Germany has been one of the European Countries with tuition free programs. Since then, German universities are now allowed to charge tuition fees for undergraduate study programmes. Currently, only four out of 16 Federal states charge tuition fees of up to 500 Euros per semester. These states are Baden-Württemberg, Bavaria, Hamburg, and Lower Saxony. All other federal states do not charge tuition fees and only request a certain amount of money as a semester contribution (about 50 euros).
In most cases, you need to pay tuition fee for Master’s programmes. The fees vary between 650 Euros and several thousand Euros per Semester. As outlined below, there are a good number of scholarships that can fund Master’s Programmes in Germany.
Detailed information on tuition fees in different federal states in Germany can be found at this page.
DAAD Scholarship Programs
DAAD is a joint organisation of Germany’s higher education institutions and is responsible for promoting international academic relations, primarily through the exchange of students, academics and researchers. The DAAD scholarship database contains scholarship and funding opportunities for foreign students, graduate students and scientists who are seeking financial support for their studies, research work or teaching assignments in Germany. The database not only lists all the scholarships offered by the DAAD, but also diverse programmes offered by a wide variety of institutions.
The most popular DAAD scholarship program for developing country students is the DAAD Scholarships for Postgraduate Courses with Special Relevance to Developing Countries.
German Foundations’ Scholarship Programs
A number of political and religious foundations in Germany offers scholarships to international students from various backgrounds, interests, and qualifications. studentwerk-berlin.de outlines them in this list.
Erasmus Mundus Scholarship Programs in Germany
German Universities participate in quite a number of study programs which are funded by Erasmus Mundus Scholarships. The scholarships allow international students to pursue a participating Erasmus Mundus study program for free.
Found this useful? Share it!
Disclaimer: This is NOT the official scholarship announcement. This website is for general information purposes only. For official information and specific details including updated deadlines and instructions, please always refer to the official website of the scholarship provider. Any reliance you place on information from this website is strictly at your own risk. Please see our Disclaimer and Terms and Conditions for more information.
More Scholarships Like This »
- A Guide to Tuition-Free Universities for International Students
- Top 13 Scholarships in Sweden for International Students
- 28 MBA Scholarships for International Students
- Top 100+ Universities that offer Scholarships for International Students
- Top 15 Australia Scholarships for International Students
- 23 Scholarships in USA for International Students in 2013
- Top 13 Scholarships in UK for International Students in 2013
- Top 15 Canadian Scholarships for International Students
- A Guide to Government-funded Scholarships for International Students
- Scholarship Tip #7: Tap into other Scholarship Resources
- 38 University Scholarship Programs for Developing Country Students
- 15 Fully-funded Development Scholarships for International Students
- Top 10 Scholarships in Netherlands for International Students
- 23 Scholarships Specifically Targeted to Developing Country Students
- Top 10 Scholarships for the Best International Students
- Tuition Scholarships for International Students at Global Universities
- 2013 Distance Learning Scholarships for International Students
- Top 15 Merit-Based Scholarships for International Students
- Scholarships Tip #6: Ask Yourself “Am I Qualified for a Scholarship?”
- 10 Scholarships for Study in Any Country or Anywhere
More Scholarships in the Same Category »
♦ Level of Study:
♦ Field of Study:
♦ Place of Study: Germany,
♦ Target Group: Any developing country,