KAAD Scholarships in Germany for Developing Countries
Last updated: 21 Feb 2013
Deadline: 15 Jan/30 Jun(annual)
Study in: Germany
Course starts 2014
The KAAD scholarships are addressed to post-graduates and to academics who already gained professional experience and who are interested in postgraduate studies (or research stays) in Germany. This program is administered by regional partner committees, staffed by university professors and church representatives.
German Universities and Higher Education Institutions
Fields of study:
There is no specific subject-preference. However, the selection board has often given preference to courses and subjects that they felt to be of significance for the home country of the applicant. This holds true especially for subjects of PhD-theses. There is therefore a certain leaning towards “development oriented” studies – this does however not mean that other fields (cultural, philosophic, linguistic, etc.) can not be of significance for a country and are ruled out.
Number of Scholarships:
Citizens of developing or emerging countries in Africa, Asia, the Middle East or Latin America.
There is a preference for Catholic applicants. Among the scholars there is however also a limited number of: Protestant Christians, Orthodox Christians (especially from Ethiopia), Muslims. Catholic Priests and Religious People are eligible only in very rare cases. There are other scholarship programmes catering especially for them.
Editor’s Note: For Muslim students, see the List of Scholarships for Muslims.
Covers the cost of studies. Inquire with the scholarship provider for more information.
For the scholarship programme 1 of KAAD you can apply if you:
• come from a developing or emerging country in Africa, Asia, the Middle East or Latin America
• have a university degree and professional experience from your home country
• want to acquire a master’s degree or a PhD at a German university or do a post-doctoral research project (2-6 months for established university lecturers) at a German university
• are a Catholic Christian (or general belong to a Christian denomination). Candidates from other religions can apply if they are proposed by Catholic partners and can prove their commitment to interreligious dialogue.
The general rule is that applicants for Master-scholarships should be of the maximum age of 30, while applicants for PhD-scholarships should not be older than 35.
KAAD is working with focus- and partner countries in your region. There are so-called Partner Committees in these countries and applications are channelled via them. Visit the web page relevant to you: Africa (sub-Sahara), Asia, Latin America, Near and Middle East (including northern Africa).
Applications for the September selection need to be complete by 30th of June. Applications to be tabled in the March-session of the selection board need to be complete by 15th of January.
Applicants needs to show either an admission letter or a confirmation by the university that they are eligible for the course and that the application has been received and being processed.
It is important to read the FAQs and visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://kaad.de/1/scholarships/scholarship-program-1/
Related Scholarships: Scholarships for International Students in Germany
- ADB-Japan Scholarship Program for Developing Countries in Asia and Pacific
- GeTMA Scholarships for International Students in Turkey/Germany
- VLIR-UOS Training Scholarships for Developing Countries
- IDB Scholarships for Muslim Communities in Non-Member Countries
- One World Scholarship Program for Developing Countries at Austrian Universities
- INSEAD-Syngenta MBA Scholarships for Developing Country Leaders
- VLIR-UOS Training and Masters Scholarships in Belgium
- Norwegian Quota Scholarship Scheme
- Reach Oxford Scholarships for Developing Country Students
- Bocconi Scholarships in Italy for International Students
Disclaimer: This is NOT the official scholarship announcement. This is only an organized summary of the scholarship. For complete and updated information, please always refer to the official website of the scholarship provider. Any reliance you place on information from this website is strictly at your own risk. Please see our Disclaimer and Terms and Conditions for more information.