Commonwealth Scholarships for Developing Countries
Last updated: 12 Aug 2012
Deadline: around Dec 2013 (annual)
Study in: UK
Course starts AY 2014-2015
The Commonwealth Scholarship are for students from developing Commonwealth countries for Master’s (one-year), PhD, and split-site PhD study in the UK. These scholarships are funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID).
There is a nominating agency for Commonwealth Scholarships in each Commonwealth country. In addition, universities and university bodies in a number of developing Commonwealth countries are invited to nominate candidates to the CSC.
Field(s) of study:
All subject areas are eligible, although the CSC’s selection criteria give priority to those applications that demonstrate strong relevance to development. You are requested to apply for a course of study at a UK universities which has agreed to offer a tuition fee contribution for 2014-2015.
Number of Scholarships:
Approximately 200-230 scholarships are awarded each year.
The scholarships are targeted to Developing Commonwealth Countries (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Cameroon, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Falkland Islands, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guyana, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritius, Montserrat, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn, St. Helena, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Seychelles *, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tristan da Cunha, Turks and Caicos, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Western Samoa, Zambia)
Each Scholarship provides:
• Student concessionary or other approved airfare to the United Kingdom and return on expiry of the Scholarship (the cost of journeys made before final award confirmation will not normally be reimbursed, nor can fares be paid for a Scholar’s dependants)
• Approved tuition and examination fees
• A personal maintenance allowance at the rate of £917 per month (£1134 per month for those studying at institutions in the London Metropolitan area)
• A grant towards the expenses of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable
• An initial arrival allowance, incorporating an initial clothing grant for Scholars from tropical countries
• A grant for expenses for approved travel within the United Kingdom or overseas
• A grant towards fieldwork costs for those Scholars undertaking doctoral studies for whom a case has been made for fieldwork outside the United Kingdom. This shall not normally exceed one economy class return airfare to the fieldwork location
• A paid mid-term fare to their home country for Scholars on three year doctoral awards. Scholars for whom fieldwork fares are provided to their home country shall not be entitled to a mid-term fare home, nor Scholars who have claimed (or intend to claim) spouse or child allowances for more than 12 months during their award.
• For married scholars and/or scholars with children, allowance(s) are provided.
To apply for the awards covered in this prospectus, candidates should:
• Be Commonwealth citizens, refugees, or British protected persons
• Be permanently resident in a Commonwealth country other than the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
• Be available to commence their academic studies in the United Kingdom by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2014
• Hold, by October 2014, a first degree of upper second class Honours standard (or above); or a second class degree and a relevant postgraduate qualification, which will normally be a Master’s degree.
All inquiries and applications must be made through nominating agency/university/university body in your home country. You must check with them in the first instance for specific advice on how to make an application and for their own closing dates. The CSC cannot accept any applications direct from candidates.
Applications for 2014/2015 is not yet open and will open around August 2013. Deadline is around December 2013. The CSC will not accept any applications which are not submitted via the Electronic Application System (EAS) to the nominating agency/university/university body in the candidate’s home country.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/scholarships-developing-cw/
Found this useful? Share it!
Disclaimer: This is NOT the official scholarship announcement. This website is for general information purposes only. For official information and specific details including updated deadlines and instructions, please always refer to the official website of the scholarship provider. Any reliance you place on information from this website is strictly at your own risk. Please see our Disclaimer and Terms and Conditions for more information.
More Scholarships Like This »
- New Zealand Scholarships for Developing Commonwealth Countries
- UK Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme
- Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships for Developing Commonwealth Countries
- Nottingham Developing Solutions Scholarships
- Weidenfeld Scholarship Programme for Developing Countries
- Westminster Undergraduate Scholarships for Developing Countries
- Westminster International Scholarships for Developing Countries
- UEA International Development Scholarships for Students from Developing Countries
- Quota Scholarships in Norway for Developing Countries
- DAAD Scholarships with Special Relevance for Developing Countries
- Australia Awards Scholarships
- WMF Scholarships for Developing Country Students
- Eric Bleumink Scholarships for Developing Countries
- University of Bradford Scholarships for Developing Countries in Crisis
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships for International Students
- Ghent Scholarships in Belgium for Developing Countries
- Clarendon Scholarships at University of Oxford
- University of Birmingham Scholarships for International Students
- Ireland Government Scholarships for International Students
- Malaysia International Scholarships (MIS)
More Scholarships in the Same Category »
♦ Field of Study: Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries, Any field of study, Development Studies, Economics & Finance, Education, Engineering, Environmental Management, Health, Human Development, Humanities, Information Technology (IT), Journalism, Law and Public Policy, MBA, Medicine, Natural Resources Management, Natural Sciences, Peace, Science and Technology, Social Sciences, Urban Environmental Management, Water Management,