Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Programme
Last updated: 10 Jan 2013
Aga Khan Foundation
Deadline: 31 March (annual)
Study in: any Country
Course starts 2013
The Aga Khan Foundation provides a limited number of scholarships each year for postgraduate studies to outstanding students from developing countries who have no other means of financing their studies. Scholarships are awarded on a 50% grant : 50% loan basis through a competitive application process once a year.
The Foundation gives priority to requests for Master’s level courses but is also willing to consider applications for PhD programmes, when doctoral degrees are necessary for the career objectives of the student. Requests will also be considered for travel and study awards for PhD students doing their research in Third World countries on topics judged to be of interest to the Aga Khan Development Network. Applications for short-term courses are not considered; neither are applications from students who have already started their course of study.
Field of study:
Any; not specified.
The Foundation accepts applications from countries where it has branches, affiliates or other AKDN agencies which can help with processing applications and interviewing applicants. At present, these are Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Mozambique, Madagascar, France, Portugal, UK, USA and Canada.
The Foundation assists students with tuition fees and living expenses only. The cost of travel is not included in AKF scholarships. Applicants are requested to make every effort to obtain funding from other sources as well, so that the amount requested from the Foundation can be reduced to a minimum. Preference is given to those who have been able to secure some funding from alternative sources.
Preference is given to students under 30 years of age. See selection Criteria below.
The main criteria for selecting award winners are: l) excellent academic records, 2) genuine financial need, 3) admission to a reputable institution of higher learning and 4) thoughtful and coherent educational and career plans. Candidates are also evaluated on their extra-curricular interests and achievements, potential to achieve their goals and likelihood to succeed in a foreign academic environment. Applicants are expected to have some years of work experience in their field of interest.
Half of the scholarship amount is considered as a loan, which must be reimbursed with an annual service charge of 5%. A guarantor is required to co-sign the loan agreement. The payback period is five years, starting six months after the study period funded by the Aga Khan Foundation.
The application procedures of AKF’s International Scholarship Programme are decentralised. Students may obtain application forms as of January 1st each year from AKF offices or Aga Khan Education Services / Boards in their countries of current residence. Completed applications should be returned to the agency from which the form was obtained, or to the address indicated on the front of the form. They should not be sent to Geneva. The deadline for submission of applications is 31 March, although in certain countries internal deadlines may be earlier.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.akdn.org/akf_scholarships.asp
Related Scholarships: List of Universities that offer Scholarships for Developing Country Students
Found this useful? Share it!
Disclaimer: This is NOT the official scholarship announcement. This website is for general information purposes only. For official information and specific details including updated deadlines and instructions, please always refer to the official website of the scholarship provider. Any reliance you place on information from this website is strictly at your own risk. Please see our Disclaimer and Terms and Conditions for more information.
More Scholarships Like This »
- University of Oulu International Master’s Scholarship Programme
- Weidenfeld Scholarship Programme for Developing Countries
- Radboud Scholarship Programme for International Students
- Edinburgh Global Development Academy Scholarships
- One World Citizen Talent Scholarship for International Students
- Eric Bleumink Scholarships for Developing Countries
- University of Bradford Scholarships for Developing Countries in Crisis
- Korean Government Scholarship Program for International Students
- UK Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme
- United Nations University Scholarships for Developing Country Students
- Utrecht Excellence Scholarships for International Students
- UNIPV International Scholarships for Developing Countries
- OFID Scholarships Award for International Students
- UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Scholarships
- Emile Boutmy Scholarships for International Students at Sciences Po University
- Hubert Humphrey Fellowships in USA for International Students
- Ireland Government Scholarships for International Students
- University of Sydney International Scholarships (USydIS)
- Japanese Government Scholarships for International Students
- UWE Global Student Scholarships for International Students
More Scholarships in the Same Category »
♦ Field of Study: Any field of study,
♦ Place of Study: Any Country,