Joint Japan/World Bank Scholarships in Development for International Students
Last updated: 01 Jan 2013
Deadline: 31 March 2013 (annual)
Study in: selected Countries
Course starts AY 2013-2014
The objective of the Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarships is to help create an international community of highly-trained professionals working in the field of economic and social development. The community will actively participate in the capacity building efforts in the developing countries.
Applicants are encouraged to apply to one of the Preferred Universities 2013-2014 which, other things equal, will have priority in the scholarship award.
Program of study:
Eligible applicants should propose a program of study related to development at the master’s level, in fields such as economics, health, education, agriculture, environment, natural resource management, or other development‑related subject.
The proposed program of study should start during the academic year 2013/2014 for a maximum duration of two years. The JJ/WBGSP does not support applicants who are already enrolled (i.e., taking classes) in graduate degree programs.
Applicants should submit evidence of current unconditional admission to at least one development-related university master’s degree program and are encouraged to submit application to a second such program. Applicants are encouraged to apply to one of the Preferred Universities which, other things equal, will have priority in the scholarship award.
The Program does not support studies in the applicant’s home country.
The Program does not support applicants for MBA, MDs, M.Phil. or Ph.D. degrees.
The Program does not support legal studies such as J.D., L.L.M. or S.J.D. except for L.L.M.’s related to human rights, environment, or good governance.
The scholarship program does not sponsor undergraduate studies, distance learning programs, short-term training, conferences, seminars, thesis writing, research projects, and fields of studies not related to development. All these requests will not be considered.
The Program does not support certain other fields of study.
Number of Awards:
Citizens of World Bank Member Countries eligible to borrow.
The JJ/WBGSP scholarship provides annual awards to cover the cost of completing a master’s degree or its equivalent. The awards are given for one year and, provided that the academic program is longer than one year, may be renewed for a second consecutive year or a portion thereof, subject to satisfactory academic performance in the first year and the availability of funds. There is an absolute two year maximum limit on JJ/WBGSP awards.
The scholarship provides benefits for the recipient only, covering:
• economy class air travel between the home country and the host university at the start of the study program and one return journey following the end of the overall scholarship period. In addition to the ticket, scholars receive a US $500 travel allowance for each trip;
• tuition and the cost of basic medical and accident insurance usually obtained through the university;
• a monthly subsistence allowance to cover living expenses, including books.
The JJ/WBGSP scholarship does not cover:
• expenses for the scholar’s family
• extra-curricular courses or training
• language training
• additional travel during the course of the study program
• additional expenses related to research, supplementary educational materials, field trips, or participation in workshops, seminars, or internships while at the host university; or
• educational equipment such as computers
• The scholarship award is valid for the academic year immediately following the offer of award and cannot be deferred for any reason.
• The amount of scholarship may vary depending upon the host country and the tuition charged by the host university. In recent years the annual value of a scholarship has averaged around US$35,000.
• The JJ/WBGSP scholarship only supplements, and does not duplicate, any other source of financial support/fellowship the scholar might have. Scholars must inform the JJ/WBGSP if they have other sources of scholarship funds. The JJ/WBGSP stipend may be withdrawn completely or partially if during the scholarship period the Program has evidence of additional sources of support.
To apply for a JJ/WBGSP scholarship under the Regular Program, an applicant must:
• Be a national of a World Bank member country eligible to borrow.
• Be born after March 31, 1972.
• Have, by March 31, 2013, at least 2, preferably 4 to 5, years of recent full time professional experience acquired after a university degree, in the applicant’s home country or in another developing country.
• Hold a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.
• Be in good health.
• Be of good character.
• Not be a permanent resident or a national of any industrialized country.
• Not be residing in an industrialized country for more than one year.
• Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, staff of the World Bank Group (the World Bank, International Finance Corporation, International Development Association, Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, and International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes), consultant, or relative of the aforementioned.
Eligible applications are assessed according to three main factors: academic excellence, professional experience, and relevance of program of study. Priority is given to candidates from the public sector with a high potential to impact the development in their own countries after completion of their studies. To the extent permitted by Program requirements and selection standards, the JJ/WBGSP:
• seeks to maintain a reasonably wide geographical distribution of awards and gives priority to applicants from low-income countries
• supports promising female candidates
• gives priority to those candidates who, other things equal, have limited financial resources
Applications are usually available as: on-line application form presented in English, French, and Spanish or pdf files that can be downloaded from JJ/WBGSP website at this link.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit the application along with ALL supporting documentation including an admission letter to a master’s degree program in ONE PACKAGE.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://go.worldbank.org/N1E6BQZXY0
Related Scholarships: Government Scholarships for Students
Found this useful? Share it!
Disclaimer: This is NOT the official scholarship announcement. This website is for general information purposes only. For official information and specific details including updated deadlines and instructions, please always refer to the official website of the scholarship provider. Any reliance you place on information from this website is strictly at your own risk. Please see our Disclaimer and Terms and Conditions for more information.
More Scholarships Like This »
- One World Citizen Talent Scholarship for International Students
- UEA International Development Scholarships for Students from Developing Countries
- Hubert Humphrey Fellowships in USA for International Students
- Eiffel Scholarships in France for International Students
- UWE Global Student Scholarships for International Students
- Turkiye Scholarships for International Students
- London Met Scholarships for International Students
- Greek Government Scholarships for Foreign Students
- Quota Scholarships in Norway for Developing Countries
- University of Adelaide Fully-funded Scholarships for Outstanding International Students
- OFID Scholarships Award for International Students
- Korean Government Scholarship Program for International Students
- Emile Boutmy Scholarships for International Students at Sciences Po University
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships for International Students
- University of Bern Excellence Scholarships for International Students
- The University of Western Australia Scholarships for International Students
- Flinders International Scholarships for Foreign Students
- Ireland Government Scholarships for International Students
- Utrecht Excellence Scholarships for International Students
- Edinburgh Global Masters Scholarships for International Students
More Scholarships in the Same Category »
♦ Level of Study: Masters,
♦ Field of Study: Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries, Development Studies, Economics & Finance, Education, Environmental Management, Health, Human Development, Natural Resources Management, Peace, Urban Environmental Management, Water Management,
♦ Place of Study: Any Country,