Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program
Last updated: 27 Feb 2014
Deadline: 27 March 2014 (annual)
Study in: selected Countries
Course starts AY 2014-2015
The Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP) sponsors students from developing countries to pursue graduate studies leading to a master’s degree from preferred universities around the world. Scholars are expected to return home to contribute to the development of their country.
Host Institutions/Programs of study:
The program supports master’s degree studies in any development-related field. Common fields of study have included economics, public policy, sustainable development (including natural resources and environmental management), agriculture and rural development, urban and regional planning, infrastructure, and health, population, and education.
See the list of JJ/WBGSP preferred university masters programs for AY 2014-2015.
Citizens of eligible developing countries
The scholarship provides benefits for the recipient only, covering:
• economy class air travel between your home country and the host university at the start of your study program and one return journey following the end of the scholarship period. In addition to the ticket, you will receive a US $500 travel allowance for each trip.
• tuition for your graduate program and the cost of basic medical insurance usually obtained through the university. (Please note that all partner and preferred masters programs are 2 years or less and the scholarship covers the duration of the program.)
• a monthly subsistence allowance to cover living expenses, including books. The amount of the allowance varies depending on the host country.
The JJ/WBGSP scholarship does not cover expenses for the scholar’s family, extra-curricular courses or training, language training, additional travel during the course of the study program, expenses related to research, supplementary educational materials, field trips, participation in workshops/seminars, or internships that are not part of the curriculum of the graduate program; or educational equipment such as computers.
To apply for a JJ/WBGSP scholarship under the Regular Program, an applicant must:
• Be a national of a World Bank member country eligible to borrow.
• Not be a dual citizen of any industrialized country.
• Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, staff of the World Bank Group (the World Bank, International Finance Corporation, International Development Association, Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, and International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes), consultant, relative or in-law of the aforementioned.
• Holds a Bachelors degree (or equivalent university degree) earned before 2011.
• Currently employed in a paid and full time position at time of application.
• Have, by the application deadline, at least 3 years but no more than 20 years of recent full time paid employment in the applicant’s home country or in another developing country acquired after receiving the first Bachelors (or equivalent university) degree, and at least 3 years of recent experience in development-related work.
• Have, by the notification of the scholarship award, been accepted unconditionally (except for funding) to enroll in the upcoming academic year in one of the JJ/WBGSP preferred university masters programs that is listed on the JJ/WBGSP website, that is located outside of the applicant’s country of citizenship and country of residence.
• Be in good health, as certified by a medical doctor, with respect to the capacity to be a productive scholar for the duration of the masters program.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must have been accepted unconditionally in one of the JJ/WBGSP preferred university masters programs for the AY 2014-15. Online applications should be submitted by 27 March 2014.
It is important to read the application guidelines and visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://go.worldbank.org/VV63X70UQ0
Related Scholarships: Government Scholarships for Students
- ADB-Japan Scholarship Program for Developing Countries in Asia and Pacific
- World Citizen Talent Scholarship for International Students
- Japan-IMF Scholarships for Asians
- MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program for Africans
- Netherlands Fellowship Program for Short Courses, Masters, PhD
- EWC Graduate Degree Scholarships for Asia and the Pacific
- Chinese Government Scholarships-Bilateral Program for International Students
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program in USA
- York University International Student Program
- Lund University Global Scholarship Programme
Disclaimer: This is NOT the official scholarship announcement. This is only an organized summary of the scholarship. For complete and updated information, please always refer to the official website of the scholarship provider. Any reliance you place on information from this website is strictly at your own risk. Please see our Disclaimer and Terms and Conditions for more information.