Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS)
Last updated: 27 Jun 2016 | CURRENTLY CLOSED
Deadline: before 2 Nov 2016 (annual)
Study in: Canada
Course starts May/Sept 2017
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) was created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning. The scholarships are towards a doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD).
Canadian Universities with Vanier CGS allocation. Without exception, the Vanier CGS is tenable only at the eligible Canadian institution that submitted the nomination.
Level/Field(s) of study:
PhD programmes (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) in health research; natural sciences and/or engineering research; and social sciences and/or humanities research
Number of Scholarships:
Up to 167 scholarships are awarded annually
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
The scholarships is worth $50,000 per year for three years.
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
• be nominated by only one Canadian university, which must have received a Vanier CGS allocation;
• be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
• intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating university; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
• have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2017;
• have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your university, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the university for its definition of a first-class average; and
• not have already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Applications are currently closed.
Candidates must be nominated by a Canadian Institution with a quota at which they want to study. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program.
Applications are initiated in one of two ways. Either the student informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS program OR the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
Applications are prepared by the student and submitted to the nominating institution by their internal deadline using the ResearchNet application system. The nominating institution then forwards recommended nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) by 2 November 2016.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the application form and to know the complete details on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html
See also: List of Scholarships in Canada
Disclaimer: This is NOT the official scholarship page. This is only a one-page summarized listing of the scholarship. While we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, information may change at any time without notice. For complete and updated information, please always refer to the official website of the scholarship provider. Any reliance you place on information from scholars4dev.com is strictly at your own risk. Please read our full Disclaimer for more information.