Japanese Government Scholarships for International Undergraduate Students
Last updated: 02 Feb 2014 |
Deadline: April-May 2014
Study in: Japan
Course starts 2015
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology（MEXT）offers scholarships to international students who wish to study at Japanese universities as undergraduate students under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program for 2015.
Universities in Japan
Fields of study:
Those who wish to study in Japan as an undergraduate student must choose a field of major from two major fields: (1) Social Sciences and Humanities and (2) Natural Sciences.
Please refer to the official website for detailed list of eligible fields of study.
Number of Scholarships:
Nationals of countries which has diplomatic relations with the Japanese government.
The scholarship includes school fees, allowance of 117,000 yen per month, an additional monthly stipend of 2,000 or 3,000 yen may be provided to those undertaking study or research in specially designated regions, and travel costs to and from Japan. Please refer to the official website for full scholarship benefits.
(1) Nationality: Applicants must have the nationality of a country which has diplomatic relations with the Japanese government. Stateless persons can be applicants, too. Applicants who have Japanese nationality at the time of application are not eligible. However, applicants of dual nationality who reside outside of Japan is eligible only if they will expatriate from Japan by the time of ariival in Japan. Applicants screening will be made at the Japanese Embassy/Consulate General (hereinafter, referred to as “Japanese diplomatic mission”) in the country of applicants’ nationality.
(2) Age: Applicants generally must have been born between April 2, 1993 and April 1, 1998.
(3) Academic Background: Applicants must either have completed a 12-year regular course of school education or have graduated from a school equivalent to an upper secondary school in Japan. (Applicants who will meet the above qualifications by March, 2015 are included.)
Note: Also included is any Applicant who otherwise satisfies entrance eligibility for a Japanese university.
(4) Japanese Language: Applicants must be willing to learn the Japanese language and deepen their understanding on Japan. In addition, in general, applicants must be willing to receive college education in Japanese.
(5) Health: Applicants must be physically and mentally healthy enough to pursue study at a university in Japan.
(7) Arrival in Japan: In principle, applicants must be able to arrive in Japan between the 1st and 7th of April 2015. In case where an applicant starts from the fall semester through direct placement, he or she must be able to leave for and arrive in Japan by the date specified by the accepting university.
(7) Visa Requirement: Selected applicants must acquire “College Student” （ryugaku,留学） visas before entering Japan. The visas should be issued at the Japanese diplomatic mission, located in the country of applicants, nationality. Applicants who change their resident status to any status other than “College Student” after their arrival in Japan will immediately lose their status as Japanese government scholarship student.
Please refer to the official website for complete eligibility criteria and conditions of the scholarship.
Scholarship recipients are recruited and initially screened by a Japanese embassy (or consulate general, depending on the country). Because the application process differs according to the country in which the Japanese embassy is located, please inquire at the Japanese embassy or consulate general in your country for details. The deadline of the applications differ varies per country but the application period falls around April-May each year.
It is important to read to visit the official website (links found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Please find the contact details of the Japanese embassies/consulates in your country at this link.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.mext.go.jp/a_menu/koutou/ryugaku/boshu/1346539.htm
Related Link: List of Scholarships in Japan
Disclaimer: This is NOT the official scholarship page. This is only a one-page summarized listing of the scholarship. While we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, information may change at any time without notice. For complete and updated information, please always refer to the official website of the scholarship provider. Any reliance you place on information from scholars4dev.com is strictly at your own risk. Please read our full Disclaimer for more information.