DRD Scholarships for Sub-Saharan Africans
Last updated: 25 Mar 2012
Deadline: 31 July 2012 (annual)
Study in: South Africa/Germany
Course starts Jan-May 2013
For applicants from Sub-Saharan African countries with an excellent academic record, the DRD offers a limited number of DAAD merit scholarships per year.
University of the Western Cape, South Africa
Field of study:
Scholarships are available for full-time students of:
Number of Awards:
Limited number of scholarships are available.
The scholarships are intended for nationals of Sub-saharan African countries:
Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon,Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Congo DRC (Zaire), Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissaau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Scholarships include monthly allowances of 650 Euro for Master candidates and 900 Euro for PhD candidates plus travel allowances.
Apart from full scholarships for participation in one of the above mentioned programmes a number of mobility scholarships for Master students are available each year. These scholarships are aimed at funding a study period in Germany. During such a study period abroad scholarship holders can participate in a Summer School at Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum, complete an internship with a German organization working in the field related to their studies or they can visit Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum during the completion phase of their Master Thesis for intensive supervision periods.
Scholarship applicants are advised to carefully read about the specific entry requirements and course application procedure of the programme of their choice. The information is available from the respective programmes sections.
All applicants have to meet the following requirements:
• Applicants should be from Sub-Sahara Africa
• Applicants should have achieved a first or upper second class for their previous course of study
• The study must have been completed at an accredited University
• The previous degree should have been an academic discipline which is related to development, such as economics, sociology, social anthropology, agriculture, statistics, etc.
• South African students are required to have an honours degree in order to be admitted to a Masters degree course
• Applicants must provide evidence of proficiency in English, both written and spoken. This can be TOEFL test or a similar standard test or a letter from an academic institution
• Applicants should preferably have been involved in development organisations, as interns, volunteers or employees
• There is no formal age restriction, but applicants should apply within three years of completing their previous degree, unless they have a good reason for having been academically inactive for a period
• Women are encouraged to apply
• Applicants must be able to study fulltime at the UWC for the required period.
The closing date for scholarship applications for studies is on 31 July 2012.
Candidates for the Masters Programme in Public Administration (MPA), the MA and M Econ in Development Studies as well as PhD candidates in the fields of Governance, Public Policy, Public Management or Development Studies can submit their scholarship application before they register with UWC through the online application procedure.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship. The application forms is available for download from the scholarship section.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.drd-sa.org/scholarships-in-development-studies.html
Found this useful? Share it!
Disclaimer: This is NOT the official scholarship announcement. This website is for general information purposes only. For official information and specific details including updated deadlines and instructions, please always refer to the official website of the scholarship provider. Any reliance you place on information from this website is strictly at your own risk. Please see our Disclaimer and Terms and Conditions for more information.
More Scholarships Like This »
- Graça Machel Scholarships for African Women
- Commonwealth Scholarships for Developing Countries
- Heinrich Boll Scholarships in Germany for International Students
- Leiden University Excellence Scholarships for International Students
- Curtin International Postgraduate Research Scholarships
- Radboud Scholarship Programme for International Students
- UM High Potential Scholarships for International Students
- MUIS Scholarships in Australia for International Students
- Denmark Government Scholarships for International Students
- Eric Bleumink Scholarships for Developing Countries
- DAAD Masters Scholarships in Public Policy and Good Governance
- DAAD Scholarships with Special Relevance for Developing Countries
- MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program for Africans
- KAAD Scholarships in Germany for Developing Countries
- Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships for Developing Commonwealth Countries
- Rhodes Scholarships at University of Oxford for International Students
- Netherlands Fellowship Program for Short Courses
- VLIR-UOS Training Scholarships for Developing Countries
- IDB Scholarships for Muslims in Africa and Asia
- CUD Scholarships in Belgium for Developing Countries
More Scholarships in the Same Category »
♦ Target Group: Africans,