DRD Scholarships for Sub-Saharan Africans
Last updated: 24 Mar 2014 |
Deadline: 31 July 2014 (annual)
Study in: South Africa/Germany
Course starts Jan-May 2015
The DRD offers a limited number of DAAD merit scholarships per year for applicants from Sub-Saharan African countries with an excellent academic record, to pursue development-related Masters and PhD studies.
University of the Western Cape, South Africa/Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum, Germany
Field of study:
Scholarships are available for full-time students of:
• MA and M Econ in Development Studies
• Master in Public Administration
• the MA in Development Management (Bochum Programme), (different application procedure – HARD COPIES – deadline for the 2016 intake is 31 December 2015 - see respective programme)
• the different PhD options at the centre (PhD UWC, PhD IDS)
Number of Awards:
Limited number of scholarships are available.
The scholarships are intended for nationals of Sub-saharan African countries.
Scholarships include monthly allowances of 650 Euro for Master candidates and 900 Euro for PhD candidates plus travel allowances.
Apart from full scholarships for participation in one of the above mentioned programmes a number of mobility scholarships for Master students are available each year. These scholarships are aimed at funding a study period in Germany. During such a study period abroad scholarship holders can participate in a Summer School at Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum, complete an internship with a German organization working in the field related to their studies or they can visit Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum during the completion phase of their Master Thesis for intensive supervision periods.
Scholarship applicants are advised to carefully read about the specific entry requirements and course application procedure of the programme of their choice. The information is available from the respective programmes sections. In addition to programme requirements, all applicants have to meet the following requirements:
• Applicants should be from Sub-Sahara Africa
• Applicants should have achieved a first or upper second class for their previous course of study
• The study must have been completed at an accredited University
• The previous degree should have been an academic discipline which is related to development, such as economics, sociology, social anthropology, agriculture, statistics, etc.
• South African students are required to have an honours degree in order to be admitted to a Masters degree course
• Applicants must provide evidence of proficiency in English, both written and spoken. This can be TOEFL test or a similar standard test or a letter from an academic institution
• Applicants should preferably have been involved in development organisations, as interns, volunteers or employees
• There is no formal age restriction, but applicants should apply within three years of completing their previous degree, unless they have a good reason for having been academically inactive for a period
• Women are encouraged to apply
• Applicants must be able to study fulltime at the UWC for the required period.
The new call of applications will open on 15 April 2014. Don’t send any applications before the call is open, as only applications submitted via the online application platform (available from 15th April on) can be considered.
Applications are made online via an electronic application form. For applicants of the MPA, the MA Econ in Development Studies as well as PhD candidates the closing date for all scholarship applications is 31 July 2014.
It is important to visit the official website to access the electronic application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.drd-sa.org/index.php/scholarships-in-development-studies.html
Disclaimer: This is NOT the official scholarship page. This is only a one-page summarized listing of the scholarship. While we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, information may change at any time without notice. For complete and updated information, please always refer to the official website of the scholarship provider. Any reliance you place on information from scholars4dev.com is strictly at your own risk. Please read our full Disclaimer for more information.