IRO PhD Scholarships for Developing Countries
Last updated: 26 Aug 2009
Doctoral Degree (PhD)
Deadline: 30 November (annual)
Study in: Belgium
Course starts September 2010
As one of its contributions to development co-operation, K.U.Leuven offers IRO (Interfaculty Council for Development Co-operation) scholarships to deserving students from developing countries to do their PhD in the largest university in Flanders, Belgium.
Each academic year, IRO scholarships are granted for doctoral or pre-doctoral programmes.
Katholieke Universiteit in Flanders, Belgium
Field of study:
Priority research fields for the IRO scholarships are proposed by the three doctoral schools:
New priority research fields for the selection round 2010-2011 will be available by November 2009.
Number of Awards:
Each year only around 15 new scholarships can be granted. The scholarship programme has supported more than sixty Ph.D. graduates over the past five years. Women are encouraged to apply for the doctoral scholarship.
Citizens of developing countries
The scholarships awarded to doctoral students amounts to about €1,299-1,899 per month for living and housing allowance plus tuition fee, health insurance, accident insurance, social security fund, return tickets, installation allowance (upon arrival) and shipping allowance. Visit this link for complete details.
The maximum period for which you may be awarded a scholarship is 5 years: 1 pre-doctoral year and 4 doctoral years. The scholarship is renewable each year and its renewal depends on the annual evaluation by your supervisor.
• You must be a citizen of a developing country recognised on the list of OECD-DAC. Citizens of Eastern European countries and former Russian republics are not eligible. In addition, it must be financially impossible for you or your family to pay for studies abroad.
• The age limit is 35 years of age. Priority is given to young students under 30 years of age.
• Excellent academic results
• Women are encouraged to apply for the doctoral scholarship. With all things being equal in terms of academic background, evaluation and ranking by the faculty and the IRO Council with regard to two or more applicants considered for the scholarship, preference would be given to the female candidate.
• In case you submitted your personal research proposal, it must be original, innovative and highly relevant for development. Likewise, the proposal must be clear, feasible and goal-oriented. It must be possible to complete the research within a maximum of four years.
• In case you selected a topic amongst the priority research fields, the professor-supervisor must formally approve your candidacy for that research.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Complete application documents should be submitted to International Office, Atrecht College, Naamsestraat 63 – bus 5410, B-3000 Leuven, Belgium not later than 30 November for study in September the next year.
International Admissions and Mobility Unit
Naamsestraat 63 – bus 5410, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Tel.: +32 16 323764 Fax: +32 16 323773
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.kuleuven.be/iro/index.html
Found this useful? Share it!
Disclaimer: This is NOT the official scholarship announcement. This website is for general information purposes only. For official information and specific details including updated deadlines and instructions, please always refer to the official website of the scholarship provider. Any reliance you place on information from this website is strictly at your own risk. Please see our Disclaimer and Terms and Conditions for more information.
More Scholarships Like This »
- CUD Scholarships in Belgium for Developing Countries
- KAAD Scholarships in Germany for Developing Countries
- Netherlands Fellowship Program for Master’s, PhD, and Short Courses
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships for Developing Countries
- DAAD Scholarships with Special Relevance for Developing Countries
- UEA International Development Scholarships for Students from Developing Countries
- UNIPV International Scholarships for Developing Countries
- Westminster International Scholarships for Developing Countries
- Quota Scholarships in Norway for Developing Countries
- Eric Bleumink Scholarships for Developing Countries
- Westminster Undergraduate Scholarships for Developing Countries
- United Nations University Scholarships for Developing Country Students
- WMF Scholarships for Developing Country Students
- Vanier Canada Scholarships for International Students
- Malaysia International Scholarships (MIS)
- University of Adelaide Fully-funded Scholarships for Outstanding International Students
- Korean Government Scholarship Program for International Students
- Australia Awards Scholarships
- Chevening UK Scholarships for International Students
- Netherlands Fellowship Program for Short Courses
More Scholarships in the Same Category »
♦ Level of Study: PhD,
♦ Place of Study: Belgium,